- Published: Monday, 05 March 2018 10:59
The Early Childhood Education and Care Workforce Action Plan 2016–19 (ECEC WAP) was publicly launched on 13 October 2015 with State Government investment of up to $80 million to develop the capacity of the workforce. The plan sets out a vision to ensure that Queensland has a workforce that is professional, qualified and valued.
The ECEC WAP includes a commitment to produce annual reports, track its progress and consult with all stakeholders on future priorities for implementation.
The 2017 Annual Review of the ECEC WAP will focus on reviewing the key outcomes from 2017, identifying some of the key issues facing the ECEC workforce and seeking feedback from stakeholders on priority areas for action in 2018.
The aim of the 2017 Annual Review process is to examine the emerging workforce issues and identify any further priority areas for implementation in 2018. Some of the priorities already identified by government for implementation in 2018 include:
- Increasing the quality of data to inform future government priorities, particularly through the Queensland ECEC Census 2018
- Piloting an early childhood teacher Mentoring and Professional Learning Program
- Consulting on options for the professional registration for early childhood teachers
- Developing an ECEC Disability Inclusion Plan with a strong focus on workforce
- Embedding age appropriate pedagogies in schools.
We need your help in answering the three questions below. Your on the ground knowledge and experience of workforce issues will assist in identifying any further priorities for 2018 and beyond, and help secure commitment to progress these new initiatives. Please send us your comments by Wednesday 7 March 2018.
- What are the ECEC workforce needs and emerging issues in 2018 that should be considered and explored in identifying future priorities for implementation?
- How might the ECEC sector support these identified priority areas?
- What role can government play in supporting these priority areas in 2018 to align with the objectives of the ECEC WAP?